Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Safe Passage Film Screening


Hey everyone!

This is Nathan “Nate Dogg” Warden and I’m one of the Darkside volunteers for our upcoming service trip to Guatemala. All of us (particularly Tristan) are pretty busy working to fundraise and garner support for the trip so I thought I’d write for the blog this time. Hopefully I won’t botch it!

Recently a number of us volunteers worked and attended the film screening and Q&A explaining what Safe Passage is and it was very enlightening for all of us to say the least. I for one signed up for this trip because I’m committed to ultimate and a service trip to Guatemala sounds like an incredible experience, but I really had no idea what cause we were really working for. But I can tell you (now that I know more) that Safe Passage is a damn good cause that I’m very happy to be a part of. These kids are (quite literally) growing up in a dump and the Safe Passage School is their way up and out of it. It is giving these kids education, role models, and moral support that they just cannot get in the piles of scrap they call home. As someone looking to be a dad someday, I know I’ll do whatever it takes to give my kids the opportunity to be whatever they want and this school is that way for these kids. So for this summer, these kids are going to be my kids. Let’s get to work baby!

-Nate

Find out more at: http://www.safepassage.org/ or come to our film screening this week at the Campus Y at 6pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment